Shower base or as many of us know them as shower pan, or receptacle is an integral part of the shower room. It has to be sturdy and durable. There is a wide array of choices that you have for shower base. You will have to choose the one that is of the best quality and also lasts longer. So, we have got this informative piece here where you will get to know about the different types of shower bases and its material choices. Based on this information, you will be able to find the best option for your bathroom.
Types of shower base for bathroom:
- Tile Shower Bases– One of the most common options that you will come across is the bathroom floor tile. All the high-end shower pans have tile shower bases. You must know that a tile shower base is a bit slippery when wet, so you must consider the texture of the tile before buying one. You have the following options:
- Tileable shower base system– You can buy a tile mounted floor pan. These are usually made of fiberglass. These are designed in such a way that it makes it easy for the water to drain and you can also easily connect it with plumbing. The cost of this system starts from $500, which is excluding the tiles installation.
- Tile over concrete- If you wish to go for a more traditional tile installation, then this is the one for you. You would need a waterproof material to set tiles and then coat it again. There are certain coatings which are available which prevent grout, but it requires a lot of maintenance, as tile is prone to develop water stain.
- Molded stone shower base– The next popular choice that you have is moulded stone shower base. These are made of natural stone and synthetic plastic. These are high-quality shower base and are resistant to mould and mildew growth. These can cost around $800, which is excluding the cost of labor. So, you must check with the local contractor about the pricing of the same.
- Acrylic shower base- If you are looking for a budgeted shower base which is also very durable, then you must opt for acrylic shower bases. These come in different colors and sizes, but people mostly opt between grey and white. You can also find customized shower base. The cost of this shower base starts from $900. These are easy to clean and come at a reasonable price, thus making it a good choice for shower bases.
- Fiberglass Shower base– You can find the fiberglass shower base for as low as $200. These make them a good choice. But if you buy cheap and low-quality fiberglass, then it tends to develop a stain. But if you buy a good quality shower base, then you won’t regret it.
But there is a probability for fiberglass shower bases to develop mineral deposit from water build-up, this will require abrasive chemicals to clean up the stain, this may affect the surface of the shower base. Hence it becomes important that you must settle down with a good quality shower base.
These were some of the common choices of shower bases. Based on your budget and requirements, you can choose the one. It is important that you must choose only a good quality shower base so that it lasts longer and you don’t end up spending much of time cleaning and maintaining it. Make a comparison of the feature and pricing, and when you find the one that is a balance between the two, you can go ahead and purchase the best one.