Mozilla Thunderbird is a free open source email service provider whereas MS Outlook is a paid service. This reason is enough for people to switch from former to latter. One of the biggest confusion that arises is how to import contacts from Outlook to Thunderbird.
We can use thunderbird on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, which makes it more versatile. MS Outlook is a paid service, making it a little lesser attractive when compared to its rival. In this article, we will explain to you methods to perform the migration with no problems.
How to Import Contacts from Outlook to Thunderbird?
There are two ways and they are manual and an expert method that you can implement. Let us first talk about the automated solution which offers multiple advantages. The question that arises is the need to use the automatic software. The answer is simple, if you have abandoned MS Outlook and switched to any other application, you cannot perform the manual method. Also, if your PST file has gone corrupt because of any reason, we bound you to use a tool to fix it because Outlook may not really work with it. These two being powerful reasons, we highly recommend PCVITA Outlook to vCard converter if you are having similar troubles as stated. It can easily export contacts from Outlook to vCard, CSV, and many more formats.
Features of the Tool:
- Convert multiple contacts in a single attempt.
- Supports corrupt, orphaned, password-protected contacts.
- Preserves all details & attributes of the PST files.
- Scans OST files & folders to the desired format.
- The resultant file is compatible with uncountable applications.
Steps to Import Contacts from Outlook to Thunderbird
- Download and install the PCVITA Outlook to vCard converter tool. Add contact files or folders.
- The software will then scan all these files for corruption.
- Now, it will provide a preview of these contacts where you can view all the details. Then, you need to choose the contacts that you would like to export.
- At last, choose vCard or CSV (both formats are supported by Thunderbird, so you can choose any of them). Provide a location in your system to save this file and hit the Export button.
Import Contacts from Outlook to Thunderbird
Now that you have created a file compatible with Thunderbird, it requires you to know how you can add it to it.
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird and choose Address Book.
- From the top menu, click on Tools > Import.
- Click on Address Books from the list of items you wish to import.
- Then choose the file format that you previously exported your Outlook contacts in.
Now, choose the files you want to migrate in and click on the Import button.
Manually Import Contacts from Outlook to Thunderbird
This process has got some limitations such as the need to install Outlook on your system. Also, you cannot use this method if you have a corrupt PST or orphaned PST file.
- Launch Outlook and click on the File option in the top left.
- Then, click on Open & Export and choose Import/Export.
- Select Export to a File > Next & then choose Comma-Separated Values.
- Choose the contacts folder you want to export & give a location to save this file.
- When a dialogue box appears, map all the custom fields of the PST file with CSV.
Done! Now you can import these contact files to Thunderbird using the methods described in the previous method.
In this blog, we have explained to you two different and efficient methods to import contacts from Outlook to Thunderbird. This involves a manual method, but since it has some prominent restrictions, we have also provided an alternative to it. The software works like charm and effortlessly transfers the contacts from one application to another.